Taking community input, census data, and neighborhood research into account, Flushing 2050 has outlined the following goals.
Flushing 2050 set 2 short term goals in an initiative called Vision 1000/1000, which aims to:
- Build 1,000 units of affordable housing in 10 years
- Create 1,000 good jobs and small businesses in 5 years
- Formalize the membership and role of Flushing 2050's steering committee
- Facilitate community oversight of the planning and implementation processes
- Advocate for City leadership in developing a Flushing neighborhood infrastructure investment strategy
- Identify and support community-based initiatives that enhance data collection, analysis, and access to economic opportunity
- Define values in more exact terms, then develop a subsequent set of policies; for example, what does “real community participation” look like, and what policies will help achieve that?
- Evaluate the impact of Flushing 2050’s initiatives
- Identify areas for improvement and make adjustments accordingly
- Achieve sustained relationships with research institutions, community centers, and working groups